100 Days - 100,000 Words
25,001 words down, 74,999 to go!
Deadline - November 1
Inspiration - pandora.com

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 20

Day 20
I don't think I have a hard time being original.  Something I like about my writing is that a lot of time humor works its way into the mix, and I don't even try to put it in there.  I just write about the lives of people, and funny things just happen to occur.  I really enjoy when I'm reading a book all by myself at home, and suddenly have to laugh literally out loud because something in the book is just that funny.
I'm really happy that this naturally comes about in my writing.
So I have a complex where I always assume that my story bores people, and I don't usually talk to people about it.  However, today it came up in conversation with my good friend Tiffany.  We were talking, and she suddenly became EXTREMELY interested.  I kind of left the conversation at a point where if she wanted to keep talking about it, I would answer questions, but if she wanted to change the subject she could also do that.
She got really excited about the story, and helped me brainstorm a TON of new ideas!  She actually helped me out so much, that my plot has way more to do with my story now.  I don't know if you remember, but probably about five or ten days ago, I was having a hard time connecting two major segments of my story.  Well the things Tippy helped me think of absolutely mesh my whole story together!
I wrote a little background that I think might actually come in to play at the end of the book.  My characters are a lot darker than I like to admit too, so it's good that my humor is so ingrained in my story.  It's gonna need it.
I've been on fire tonight writing too.  When I finally sat down, after my thoughts had solidified a little bit, I started out by writing about 150 words of background information.  This is just the very basics of the skeleton of the story.  Doing this helped me get things straight in my head.  I saved that as a file for more background information I might end up needing.
I seriously have renewed fervor for my story after talking to Tiffany.  I was having a hard time eeking out 500 words a day before, now I am having a hard time stopping!  I can't wait to get to the 70,000 word marker.  That's where I think things are going to start getting crazy!  They're just about to start bubbling up, so I'm excited to see where this takes me.  I still have about 20,000 words more of setting things up, but Rosie is getting Daisy into trouble, Jack is changing and growing a lot, and Mrs. Hatcher is evil and crazy.
Honestly, there's a lot more to Rosie than I thought there was.  Tiffany was throwing ideas out for that too, and I'm excited to be able to include a tidbit of her background into the story.  It's really going to help you love that character more too.
Tiffany also helped me realize that Jack needs to grow into a hero, and he's getting there.  I guess that was the natural place the story was leading anyways, and I didn't really realize it.  Also, I think I might not actually have to kill any of my characters!!  Well, I may still have to kill the one, but I don't think it's going to be a sad death.  It's just a natural thing, and it'll be great.  It'll be cause for inspiration that propels Jack toward heroism.
I'm so excited to bust out some more lines, and I can't wait until this book is accessible to my friends and family!!
I sent my first chapter to Aaron, Steve, and Mom.  Aaron and Steve have both given me feedback, and I've already tweaked that first chapter a ton.  They helped me realize quite a few things I want to change.  However, I also realized that knowing how much I want to change already, I might need to hold off on sending out more chapters.  I'm starting to get a little overwhelmed with how much I want to change.  I'm thinking I need to just plow through my hundred thousand words, then do my NaNoWriMo, then go back and change things.
I need to do this in steps.  I am so excited about my story though, I can't wait to finish it!!!

Favorite line of the day:  Fight or flight? fight or flight? Daisy’s mind was racing. Oh great, apparently "fight" since her feet refused to come unglued from the ground.

This is a good example of the natural humor that kind of finagles its way in.  Rosie helped that factor out a lot too.  Crazy little old lady!

Also, tomorrow will probably be 30,000 words!!!  Gosh, I can't believe how quickly it's going....
25,144 words

2 comments:

  1. Yup, you're definitely excited! lol Your attitude is infectious. Keep the good stuff coming! I really had a lot of fun beta testing, but I totally understand being overwhelmed by suggestions and input. Keep us in mind as fountains of suggestion and ideas, but don't let us bog you down with your goal to keep moving forward. I'm really proud of you and love your story. I have also become dependent on this blog as a daily source of entertainment. Good luck with your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Steve!!
    I definitely know who I want to use as my beta testers, and I'll definitely be sending you guys my whole book in pieces... but that's another phase... for now, I just need brain storming and I need to add to it, and that's just because of the deadline...
    Once I get to the editing, I already know you guys are gonna be SUPER helpful... but if I edit as I go, I'm never gonna make my deadline.
    I'm glad that my endeavor is entertaining to other people, it definitely motivates me to write more!! :]

    ReplyDelete