100 Days - 100,000 Words
25,001 words down, 74,999 to go!
Deadline - November 1
Inspiration - pandora.com

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 6

Day 6
I can't honestly say I've ever read a book like mine.  I don't really want to go break down someone else's work either because I feel like that would make me less confident in my own story.  I just want to write my story how I want it to be.  I reread it constantly, so I know it's something I enjoy reading, and I feel like other people would too.
That's why it's so important that I just get it finished.  If I have something written down, start to finish, that'll be more than anything else I've ever created.  Then I can go back and tweak it how I'd like it.
I'm having a really fun time today because now Jack and Daisy are in Jack's world (ie the real world) and Daisy is experiencing hunger, time, and color.  She's taking it surprisingly well.  She must have knowledge of most of this stuff somewhere in the back of her head... hint, hint!
I like Jack's world.  It's quaint and small.  It reminds me of Claremont colleges mixed with stereotypical picket-fence America.  It's super neat.
They're on their way somewhere really cool right now, and it's not really cool just innately, but it's really cool because it's Daisy's first night (ever) and it's really memorable.  She doesn't have night in her world because time doesn't actually elapse.
That was a hard thing because I was struggling with how to mature Daisy at the same rate as Jack.  She was still 12, and Jack was 18 maturity wise.  I devised a clever way based alot on Daisy's thought processes on her trip into Jack's world.
She is finally caught up. . . mostly.  :]
13,096 words

Favorite line of the day: (I couldn't pick, they go together!!!)  Each house was now represented by one or a few lights. They combined to create a starry sky on the ground.

Still, my all time favorite line of the whole story is this one:  She (Daisy) tried to be very quiet, but the dying daffodils whispered about her every move as a final announcement of their hatred for their sworn rival--daisies.


So I really like to ask questions in my story as I'm writing the text.  The questions are meant to stay.  I feel like they help the reader see things from the vantage point of the writer better.  The writer (that's me!) doesn't know everything, but is watching it unfold as it happens.  The questions kind of act as a chorus, so to speak.  They voice the things the readers should be thinking.
Example time!
“Please, Daisy, please.” He pleaded. Daisy looked into Jack’s face and saw how grief stricken he was.
“Okay, Jack. It’ll be okay.” Had she gotten better at consoling? Maybe just consoling Jack specifically.
14,708 words

No comments:

Post a Comment